Monday, September 07, 2009

Back home

I was 19 when I left the Philippines for good. In a few days, I'll be turning 36. Hard to believe I've been away for 17 years, it just doesn't feel that way. Thanks to the internet, I can easily communicate with friends and relatives back home. I'm also up-to-date with local news and showbiz happenings. I still watch Pinoy soap operas, and I'm familiar with showbusiness' latest faces. Not much has changed. The Pinoys still favor fair skinned skinny people. Even ordinary folks are popping whitening pills and using whitening products regularly, and I won't be surprised if they're also using hgh releaser. Cosmetic surgery is more prevalent. Liposuction, implants (breast/butt/cheek etc), botox and body sculpting have become the norm.

Honestly, with my dark complexion and meaty physique, I'll feel out of place in my own country. Some Filipinos have a way of making you feel like a second class citizen when your skin is dark. Trust me, I know. I've been there. I'm just glad I won't have to deal with that mentality anymore.

8 Comments:

At 5:33 AM , Blogger justice said...

kumare, advance hapi bertdey!

you're points are so true and living here is a constant reminder that darker skin is not high society haha thank goodness hindi ako mahilig sa kaledad nitong mga ito at ayoko ng peke.

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger Mec said...

advance hapi bertdey :)

ang nakaka-depress ngayon...some adults, because we're used to whitening products na, are looking for ways to whiten kids!

 
At 9:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Justice: it's something I never really understood. Minsan napikon na ako sa isang old classmate ko when he made a comment about my dark complexion..so I said, What's wrong with being dark skinned? Pilipino tayo, hindi tayo foreigner. Hindi normal sa Pilipino ang maputi! Na-shock ang loko, hindi nakakibo LOL.

Thanks for the bday greetings ;-).

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mec: Thanks :-)!! Grabe na nga no? Imbes na yung mga adults ang mag-protekta sa kapakanan ng mga bata eh sila pa itong mga pasimuno....tsk!

 
At 11:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello rhada,
advance happy birthday and i wish you all the best.

kung sa atin eh minamaliit ng iba yung kulay nating morena ,dito naman eh kina -iinggitan d ba?

 
At 7:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Eden!!! Agree ako jan sa sinabi mo na dito sa abroad eh kinakainggitan ang may "permanent tan"...aba, imagine, hindi na tayo kailangan pang magpunta sa tanning salon. tipid! ;-)

 
At 8:57 PM , Blogger justice said...

nagulat naman ako don sa comment ni mec---whitening kids? susmio eh kung gusto nilang maputi---eh pa-breed muna nila yung bata sa "dish" at pag siguradong naalis na yung DNA na maitim, pango at kung anu-ano pang habol nila sa ibang lahi liban sa kanila at asawa nila, eh tsaka na nila pa-injection sa loob...kesa sunugin nila balat nung mga pobreng bata sa kung anu-anong bleaching chuvas

 
At 9:46 AM , Anonymous cheh said...

Preho lang tayo hinanakit sa mundo neyborhood hahaha Mas matindi pa nga siguro panglalait nila sa akin dahil ako ay may mga pilat sa magkabilang tuhod hehe Inggit sila ngayon sa atin dahil sa Planeta napuntahan natin,ang mga tao dini hindi mag ka undagagang pantayan ating mga kulay!Maski pa siguro buong araw sila sa solarium,lol atcheng,na miss ko ba mertney mo? eniways hope you had fun on your special day! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home