Monday, September 21, 2009

ID theft

Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the US today. Imagine my shock a few years back when I found out somebody had stolen my husband's SSN and opened up a phone line in Florida. We were in Germany at the time, and by the time I discovered the theft, hubby's credit report was showing a "collections" entry. The crook racked up a $2100 debt in our name. We had every proof that it wasn't us who accumulated the phone bills, but it was our burden to prove it. In cases like these, you are guilty unless proven innocent. It took two years, letters from our attorney, letters and phone calls from me before it got fixed. Needless to say, it was a big pain in the behind. Thankfully, it's a thing of the past. We signed up for identity theft protection. The bank I work for offers it to employees for just a tiny fraction of the original cost. Now I have peace of mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home